About Mountain Goat Software
Founded in 1993, Mountain Goat Software is a software process and project management consultancy and training firm. Our focus is on helping companies adopt and improve their use of agile processes and techniques in order to build extremely high performance development organizations.
It’s our job to help you succeed with your software development projects. We do that through training, coaching and offering a variety of supportive tools and resources.
About Mike Cohn
Mike Cohn is the founder of Mountain Goat Sofware. He was also a founder of two non-profit organizations dedicated to helping agile teams succeed—the Agile Alliance and the Scrum Alliance. Mike is the author of three popular agile books. He has written numerous articles for magazines, journals, and websites. He writes a popular blog, and is a highly sought-after trainer worldwide.
Mike ran his first Scrum project in 1995. After more than a decade of experience with agile methods, Mike knows how to get you and your projects Succeeding with Agile®. To do so he offers public and private, interactive classroom courses as well as onsite consulting and mentoring. Mike believes that it’s often not enough just to learn about agile; you need to experience it.
Through its Certified ScrumMaster, Agile Estimating and Planning, Effective User Stories for Agile Requirements, Certified Scrum Product Owner®, Succeeding With Agile, and other courses, Mountain Goat Software and founder Mike Cohn help companies adopt and improve their use of agile processes and techniques in order to build extremely high performance development organizations. We offer public courses around the world as well as onsite courses at your company, all of which emphasize hands-on, experiential learning.
Participating in a training course is a wonderful way to quickly learn about agile software development. But many principles and practices of agile software development are best learned by augmenting that training with some coaching or mentoring. A very common scenario is a one- or two-day training course followed by a day of hands-on work with a team. For example, it’s possible to follow a training course on user stories with a day having Mike work with your team writing the user stories for their project. Or why not follow an Agile Estimating & Planning course with a day of hands-on help with the team putting their new skills to use? A popular follow-on to our Certified ScrumMaster training is a day spent helping one or more teams plan their initial sprints. Periodic check-ins are also extremely useful. Scheduling a couple of days of coaching a month or two after a training course is a wonderful way to make sure that the key concepts presented in the class have found their way into daily usefulness.
Why Choose Mountain Goat Software?
You have many options to choose from when selecting an agile trainer and coach. Why should you choose Mountain Goat Software?
- Real-World Business Experience – We’ve Been Where You Are: Agile and Scrum aren’t just theoretical to us. Mike Cohn has been an active participant on Scrum projects since 1995 . . . and not just as a consultant. At four different companies, Mike was VP of Development where agile was instrumental to the company’s success. Three of those companies were startups and the other was a Fortune 40 company. We have the hands-on experience to make our training and coaching relevant to your world.
- We’ve Been Doing This a Long Time: Mike has more than a dozen years of experience with Scrum. We’ve worked in domains from banking to aerospace to video game development—and with companies ranging in size from 1 to 400,000. We bring experience that matches well to most environments.
- We’ve Left A Paper Trail You Can Follow: Mike has written three books, a ton of articles, keeps a current blog, and makes PowerPoint slides from his public presentations available for free.
- We’re Out In The Agile Community For You To See: Mike is a frequent speaker at many different conferences. You can attend and get a first-hand look at how he relates to an audience. You have plenty of opportunities to read about his approach and his views to see if they are compatible with what you are trying to achieve. You can also check out a video of Mike presenting at Google®. What you’d get as a trainer and a coach very closely resembles what you see in Mike’s online and conference presentations.
- We Come Highly Recommended: Let’s face it, you have more confidence in someone who has performed well for another colleague or associate. We understand that. We have a pretty impressive client list and some strong endorsements from class attendees and clients. Look through them and read a few. Find out what they thought of the training or coaching we provided. It’s what we would do if we were in your place.
Training and coaching is an investment of time and money. Do your research when choosing someone to guide you along your agile path. Mountain Goat Software and founder Mike Cohn have the hands-on experience, public record, and recommendations you need to determine whether we are right for you.